Monday, January 25, 2010

A Sacred Marriage

Brian and I took a marriage course last semester taught by our Sunday School teacher (who is also Brian's boss) and his wife. It was amazing! We went through the book "Intimate Encounters" by David and Teresa Ferguson and I strongly suggest everyone read it! It's a wonderful study!! Since the class, we have been going through this new book "Devotions for a Sacred Marriage". It is a really good book and it seems to follow in line with the study we did! It's just one devotion, each week, for a year. I know most of you probably don't have the time to go through a book, so I wanted to share with you each week what its about! These are also great principles for our relationships with people in general, not just our spouse! We just want to share our journey through this book with you-
WEEK ONE:
The God-Centered Spouse
Let us purify ourselves from everything that contaminates body and spirit, perfecting holiness out of reverence for God. 2 Corinthians 7:1

This week talks about being a "God -centered spouse" vs. a "spouse- centered spouse". "A spouse- centered spouse acts nicely toward his/her spouse when they act nicely toward them. They will be romantic with each other as long as they are rewarded for doing so. They go out of their way for each other as long as they remain agreeable and affectionate. A God-centered spouse feels motivated by their commitment to God rather than by whatever response a spouse may give. We are called to love our spouses out of "reverence for God". Someone else's sin- even the sin of my spouse against me- never gives me the license to respond with sin."

"In one sense, what my spouse says or does or doesn't do is almost irrelevant. Every decision I make, every work I utter, every thought I think, is to flow out of one holy motivation : reverence for God."

"Everyone married a sinner and we need to love everyday in spite of the decisions made by those around us. Thankfully God has chosen to love us everyday in spite of our poor choices! "

Ask yourself, "Are you a God-centered spouse?" May we love the people God has placed in our lives as much as he loves us :)

2 comments:

danielle said...

what a great idea! i will be looking forward to reading these posts!!

Amanda Isaacs said...

Thank you for posting about it! I'll have to check the book out...sounds like a great one!